This blog is mainly about the governance and future of policing and crime services. (Police & Crime Commissioners feature quite a lot.) But there are also posts about the wider justice system. And because I am town councillor and political activist, local & national issues are covered a little, as well.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

That special question

It seems that a good many PCC candidates (mostly Tory ones as far as I have seen) seem to want to boost numbers of special constables and decide how they should be deployed.

I am not going to write much on this topic as it has been very well commented upon by the blogger here and I commend his post to you. He raises some very important questions which deserve answers, not least from the PCC candidates who are making the 'commitments'.

You will read my comments on his post there.

Suffice to say, I think special police officers play an important role in 21st century policing but we must remember they are volunteers. Their operational deployment must reflect that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment